When was the last time you got stuck with a signal integrity problem and spent hours and hours trying to find the right answer? How many Google searches, links and forums did you have to visit before you actually got to the solution? Probably a lot. And this is exactly why I’d like to share few words with you about the Signal Integrity Academy, initiated and run by the signal integrity Evangelist Dr. Eric Bogatin since 2013.
About & Mission
Eric has set up a huge collection of online video classes (recordings, presentations, webinars.. ) with the mission to accelerate you up the learning curve and help you get to the right answer faster. The content is available both for individuals and companies.
Here are a few intro videos to give you an idea of the online lectures format:
Introduction: Essential Principles of Signal Integrity
- Design methodology to get it right the first time
- The right way to think about signals on interconnects
- The most important essential principles for solving SI problems
- Avoiding reflection noise cross talk, EMI, PDN noise problems
- Special treatment on ground bounce and signal transition noise
- How to use analysis tools to explore design tradeoffs
Introduction: Differential Pairs
- Differential pairs
- A secret to immunize confusion about diff pairs
- Don’t use Differential mode impedance
- Differential pairs, differential signals and odd and even mode impedance
How to think about reflections?
- Uniform lines and propagating signals
- Reflection and transmission coefficients
- The impact of reflections
- It’s all about what happens at one interface
Practice safe simulation
- Rule #9: How to practice safe simulation
- A free simulation tool included in the downloaded .zip folder
- Why it takes 2 reflections to cause problems
- Impact on the reflected and transmitted signal from all the parameters
What are S-parameters?
- S-parameters as a way of describing how interconnects affect signals
- S-parameters as “scattered” precision waves in the time or frequency domains
- S-parameters as the ratio of the coming out wave to the going in wave
Some of the introduction videos (like the examples posted above) do not require a subscription to the Signal Integrity Academy. Yet, if you’d like to gain full access for all 90+ hours of video material and learn some serious signal integrity problem-solving skills, you can go ahead and sign up here.
As you know, I organized with Eric to give another rare public class in Stockholm Sep 14+15, 2015. If you signed up for this course you were automatically added as a member of the Signal Integrity Academy. Meaning that you can see all the videos + download the software tools and example files for the courses + do the labs and immediately apply the learned techniques to your own projects.