NEW: ONLINE VERSION (5 HALF DAYS)
All systems have memory. Join this course to completely understand memory interface design, how to make a great layout, how to optimize the performance, and how to troubleshoot it. Significant performance benefits are possible when you master the details of memory interface design.
With every new generation of DDR margins are getting smaller and the requirements are harder to meet. The memory interface is more and more a „Black Box“. You need to understand this to get the most out of it.
This course will bring you back in control with a full understanding of everything that goes on in the memory interface. The what, why, and how of memory design. We also include practical measurements and how to qualify a memory design using a modern oscilloscope and what to watch out for when using built-in wizards and design guides.
Based on feedback from previous participants, we have expanded the course to have enough time to fully cover the subject.
Next public class:
Online 5 half-days, Jan 25, 2021
Course content (memory interface)
- Inside the memory: What‘s inside the components?
- Basic commands: How to access the DDR memory?
- ECC: How does it work and how to test it?
- Application Test for Memory
- Understanding DIMM’s
- Routing and Layout: Real-world implementation
- DDR3 and DDR4: The most important differences
- DDR5 outlook
- Signal Integrity: How to simulate signals?
- Power Integrity: Can the components be supplied with sufficient current?
- S-Parameter: How to read data in the frequency domain?
- Compliance Testing and what to watch out for
The course language is English. Hermann will take questions and off-line discussions in German as well.
Why take a course on memory interface design?
For all systems, the memory interface design is one of the key elements to get right. This is often the highest density routing on the board. And also the most complex interface.
The course assumes knowledge of digital design at the PCB level. No advanced math is required.
For on-line courses, please make sure you have:
- Video capable PC
- Decent quality camera (laptop built-in camera or better)
- Headset with microphone (important)
- Quiet location with no background noise
Please help the system sound quality by keeping your microphone muted whenever you are not speaking. Details on the video platform will be sent out just before the course.
What is included
- Live presenter camera
- Screen-share for presentation
- Live demos sharing instrument screen
- Chat and voice questions
- Very comprehensive material in PDF format
- Signed course certificate
- A limit of 25 participants
Price per participant for the live online course: €1 300 (normal price for live courses is €1 650)
Hermann Ruckerbauer is a consultant and owner of EyeKnowHow. Before founding EyeKnowHow, Hermann worked with dynamic memory design and memory interface design at Qimonda AG, Infineon Technologies, and Siemens/Infineon for many years and sat at the JEDEC committee for dynamic memory standards.Indicate Interest
The Feb 5+6, 2020 course was organized together with Rohde & Schwarz. We will also use R&S equipment for live demos in the on-line course in May 2020. This makes it possible for us to do live demos using the latest and greatest equipment. We do not allow partners to otherwise influence the course content.